Sunday, February 19, 2012

Counting your daily steps has benefits!

The Pedometer Challenge                        2.19.12


If  you took time to read my blog about lifestyle choices verses organized exercise, this one goes a step deeper on how to apply a pedometer to your life.  This is a great opportunity to purchase (dirt cheap) a cool piece of technology that can help document your physical activity progress as you walk about your daily routine.  Totally not selling you something, but giving a strong recommendation for a recorder of valuable info on your health & fitness. 

Pedometers (if you did not know) are step counters that allow an individual to record several parts of vital data (depending on the model) to the health of the individual.  Basically their are guidelines to a healthy lifestyle, just to maintain health a person health.  To document progress and see real time results can also assist as a motivational tool as well.  My son just loves seeing the numbers go up, well so does daddy too!  Thats motivation enough!

The Surgeon General recommends that the average adult (to just maintain health) should accumulate 10,000 steps a day (while walking) and the gov’t has set up (www.fitness.gov) a website for a person to keep track of what they have accomplished.  Children & older adults have separate goals, but the bottom line is, how do you know unless you count?

Whether you are a seasoned veteran of fitness or a novice, I would encourage everyone to take advantage of this health enhancing opportunity.  I wear mine daily and love to constantly look down to see where I’m at for the day, plus several of my clients ask me how many steps I have taken.  I move to learn and learn to move!

No comments:

Post a Comment