Friday, November 4, 2011

Social Health - Interactions with others gets hairy....

Our social health (25% of the complete total) use to have a simple definition, well the definition hasn’t hanged, but the diversity of mediums in which humans can communicate has.  How do you interact with others?  Are you shy, aggressive, friendly, cold shouldered?  Well, is that how you interact in person, you know old school style face to face?  Or is it a different way when you are in avatar mode and using a secret identity in a chat room via the world wide web?

The crazy thing is, 15 years ago most of these communication forms were non existent.  Who was back in the mid-90s saying I’ll text you when I get there or we’ll skype a workout together next week?  The term exponential comes to mind in the progress made in the numerous forms of communication and with that said comes great responsibility by the users. 

Now that we all seem to be more connected, I feel the further is from the truth, we are more disconnected from being ourselves. An example from an experience is  I look around at a youth soccer game, with excitement & magic taking place right in front of us on the field, but most of the adults are looking down.  We know what they are looking at, its in there hands silly!

A person’s social health can thrive by being in the moment, aware and absorbing your surroundings.  The sign of a good listener is body language and eye contact, not to mention actually responding to statements and adding in questions.  All to often I find myself in both public and private situation where those around me are interacting with others who are not there.  I personally don’t feel left out, but I do wonder if that person is demonstrating good social health......

No comments:

Post a Comment